About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Teaching by Observation

Walter Hautzig
When I was younger I had the opportunity of hearing concert pianist Walter Hautzig giving one of his famous Masterclasses.  At one point in the class he turned to the audience and jokingly commented on one of his previous classes that he'd given in Japan.

     "When I was in Japan, I didn't speak the language.  Anytime I needed to explain something to a student I'd just push them off [the bench] and play it for them." (paraphrased)

At the time I laughed and thought nothing of it.

But lately, I've been trying what he said.  And it's been working.

Instead of explaining...for the millionth time.. to Johnny that he needs to play the measure with a forte at the end, I don't say a word about his forte. I push over his hands and say, "Now listen, and see if you can recreate this sound."  I play it for him and let his ear tell him where the forte belongs.

I'm surprised at how easily my kids are grasping dynamics, rhythms, phrasing, and all the other difficult problems in music simply by listening to me play them correctly for them.

Soon I'm going to try using the same technique with Horowitz, Rubinstein, and the other greats with my older kids.

I guess sometimes the old ways really are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...