About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Got Wacky Week?

In honor of it being Friday the 13th, let's talk about how to be a weird piano teacher.

The last few weeks of lessons have always been a problem for me.  It isn't just the kids wanting to go outside and play, it's me too!  But I can't let my guard down and go with it since this is also the most crucial part of the school year for us.  

A few years ago I felt the whole studio sinking into this blue funk and I knew I had to do something to get us back in gear.  Thus was born "Wacky Week."

During Wacky Week all the student's preconceived ideas are turned on their head.  I usually wear flowers in my hair or something else unexpected like a costume.  We will do lots of games and play all our pieces "wacky" - in other words with tongues out, feet stomping, eyes shut, head bobbing, singing outloud.  Sometimes we will do unusual activities, like jumping rope to Beethoven.  

My kids loved it and I can't recommend it enough.

So do you have a Wacky Week tradition too? 
Photo Courtesy of dominiqueb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...