About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Blank Sheet Music: a Conundrum

Since I am a teacher, a composer, and a music theory major I fill way more than my fair share of blank sheet music on any given day.  I have tried all different kinds of products with mixed results.

1.   BlankSheetMusic.net and other websites
              I love this site, specifically for students, because you can print out one page and be done, instead of buying a ream.  But it can be cumbersome to print out as much paper as you would need if you were, say, writing an symphony.   And it can get pricey depending on how efficient your printer ink cartridge is.

Photo Courtesy of ba1969
2. Bound Blank Sheet Music Books
              Okay, if I were Bach, who was known for his neat writing style, then I would love bound blank sheet music because it looks so pretty on the shelf and is compact.  But I am not Bach and I find that I end up tearing out pages and pages and making the book a very odd thickness.  But then again, it is probably just me, since I can be rather a perfectionist.

3. Software, like Finale!
               Nothing beats computers for being both efficient and inefficient at the exact same time.  While I love how tidy everything looks on the page when I write it on my computer, it takes me so much longer.  Now you might say it's just that I don't know my software well enough.  Well, I tell you that is not my challenge.  It is that on the computer I have so many wonderful tools/toys to play with and I get distracted.  It's not that I'm easily distractable, wait, was that a squirrel?

4. Loose Manuscript Paper
                This is what I find myself using the most.  I like that I can write a page and then keep it or throw it out without destroying the appearance of the entire work.  Plus I can stick it in the fax machine for quick assignment submission.  And the only thing that regularly distracts me is myself singing along.  All that said, I have a tendency to lose my pages if I'm not careful.  My solution has been to shove them under a book, but I'm guessing a three ring binder would probably be a better plan.

So what do you use for blank sheet music?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...