About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened...

Pink Panther Duet
My dear friend, please bare with me today.  I have a bad case of nostalgia.  It's been coming on for sometime.  I'm afraid it may be catching.

Favorite Memories:
 -  The first time I figured out I could look out of the corner of my eye, say "No playing with your feet or licking the piano keys," and keep right on filling in their assignment book.

 - The little Miss Priss who plays in pink cowgirl boots and hat.

 - When I performed Moonlight Sonata at a concert and the girl who vowed she'd always hate the piece announced to me it was her favorite.  Compliment or not?

 - The 3 year old who took his first few lessons from me from the safe distance of his mother's lap.

 - Audibly hearing friends pray behind me during my performance of a Bach Fugue.

 - The look on my 7th grader's face after he played Burgmuller's Ballade in c minor with the dynamics in place.  It was priceless amazement.

 - The 5th grader who announced only 2 months before the big day that he didn't want to perform 10 pieces at his Guild Audition.  He wanted to perform 15 instead.

 - The Christmas Recital where one student asked to played an extra piece to "make up" for how he did on his scheduled piece - and then wowed the audience with Linus and Lucy.

 - The look on my student's face the first time he won his grade level.

 - Watching two siblings perform their version of the Pink Panther, complete with pink face paint and tail.

 - Sitting on the bench playing duets with my high school senior when she suddenly stops playing.  Her explanation?  "This note surprised me, that passage was hard, my left hand got lost, and my nose itches."

Please don't let me reminisce alone.  What are some of your favorite teaching or performing memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...