About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Yo enseño piano. Do you?

Okay, there is this question that has been rolling around in my mind for the past few weeks: Is knowing a second language important when teaching piano?

In the area I work there are huge Hispanic, Arabic, and Japanese populations.  Will my knowing Spanish, Arabic, or Japanese make me a more approachable teacher to these families?  What have you found?

This point really became obvious to me at a recent music competition.  I was a hall monitor and this sweet Japanese mother came up to me with her daughter.  I could tell that the mother was very nervous and unsteady when communicating to me in English.  My heart went out to her and I so desperately wanted to speak her in a language familiar to her.  But I couldn't.  I don't speak even one word of Japanese.  

Have you ever had a similar experience? What do you think?  Is knowing another language important for a piano teacher?

Photos Courtesy of : YGX and christopherallisonphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...