About Me

My photo
has been playing piano for over 15 years with training from some of America's best concert performers. My true love, however, is teaching with a fun twist.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Game for Learning Ledger Lines

So this week I have been experimenting with a new game from my favorite blog: Susan Paradis Piano Teaching Resources.  The game is called "Steal a Heart Note Reading Game for Ledger Lines." I have been delighted with my findings thus far.

The idea for the game is for players to fill up their game board with "hearts" by identifying the note on the heart they draw from the pile.  Mixed in are also "Steal a Heart" cards which allow you to steal from someone else's board; "Give My Heart" cards which make you giveaway one of your cards; and "Be Mine" cards which can sit on top of any heart on your board and protect it from being stolen.  The Steal and Give cards were the students' favorite part so I printed an extra set for the pile.

Now, I don't know about you, but finding a game or activity which teaches accuracy in note reading is always a prized jewel in my opinion.  I could have been more thrilled than when my 10 year old and 8 year old began naming notes faster than me!

Note: It is essential that you tell the student the "FACE" and "All Cows Eat Grass" tricks, especially if you, like me, are letting the whole family - even the baby beginner - play together.  You'll be surprised but, if given the tricks, your baby beginner will be naming notes she's not supposed to "learn" for years yet. Oh, and be sure to leave plenty of time to play because some of the notes are tricky and it takes the kids awhile to figure them out.

So do you have a favorite note reading game you use with your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...